Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cake decorating class


16th March, 2013
 
I can't remember if I've shared this on the blog yet, but I am working for my friend Nat who runs Cakes by Nat. I usually work one or two mornings a week which suits both of us really well. Nat needed someone to help her out as she got busier, and I wasn't ready to take on a job with too many hours. Plus the hours are during school times unless Nat is running a class so it was perfect for me! Plus we've been friends for close to 20 years so it was a no-brainer saying yes when she asked me to work for her!

Anyway, last month Nat ran a cake decorating beginners course. Along with helping her when she needed, I also got to decorate my own cake as well!

Chocolate mud cake, after I leveled it off. Picture taken before I leveled the sides!

The bow was made out of gum paste, and the cotton wool was put in the bow to hold its shape while it hardened.


Icing on the cake.

Bit of decoration - used a mold to cut this out of icing.

Owl. Body made out of molding chocolate, other parts made from fondant.

Owl sitting in his nest on top of the cake.

Cut out flowers from fondant, and put them on the cake when they'd set.

Ta-Da!! All finished with the bow added as well. Was lots of fun to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
But I think you forgot to give it to me for my birthday... :P