Friday, February 11, 2011

Big girl bed

It was the day I didn't think was coming! Zoe had been saying for a while that she didn't want to go into her big girl bed, she only wanted to sleep in her cot. If it's not Zoe's idea, or if I can't convince her it's her idea, it just doesn't happen!! I put her down for her afternoon nap yesterday and she mucked around and wanted to lay down with Mummy on her bed (I don't have a snooze every day, just sometimes!). I told her I was cleaning up and not sleeping so I asked if she wanted to sleep on her big bed. She said yes, so I plopped her on top of the doona and after half an hour we both knew there wasn't going to be any sleep happening! Then after her bath last night I asked her if she was going to sleep in her big bed tonight, fully expecting the usual response of 'No, don't want to!'. Instead she nodded her head. That's when I thought 'Oh crap!!' I so wasn't prepared for that! Not just emotionally, but also because we haven't bought her new bed yet, or an underlay, new doona, pillow, and I only had one set of sheets for her that I couldn't find the matching pillowcase for! I bought a new doona cover for her ages ago, and I was going to put that on the night she first went into her bed.... yeah, that didn't happen! We fossicked around and found enough so she could go to bed as there was no way I wasn't going to put her in that bed after she'd agreed to it! We found the barrier for the bed that we used for Seb so that she wouldn't fall out and it was all set.

Climbing into her bed. I usually put her to bed on my own, but last night the three of us put her to bed. We were all in shock but tried to show how excited we all were that she was sleeping in a big bed (which was actually my old bed).
Seb was the most excited! He ran and got his camera to take photos and video. He kept saying 'Good girl Zoe. Good girl for sleeping in your big bed' That certainly helped with Zoe's confidence :)
I caught Zoe out of bed a couple of times, dancing around her room. She went to sleep within an hour of going to bed, so not too bad for her first night. This is how I found her when she gave into sleep. And yes, she does take a lot to bed with her!!! Here's the list: 2xTinkerbells, 2xSilvermists, Iridessa, Rosetta (all fairies from Tinkerbell), Dora, Jemima, 4xsnugglies, and Whitey (the dog). Too much do you think?!?! Seb was exactly the same at that age.

Before I went to bed I checked on Zoe (again!) and this was how she was sleeping. She looks so much bigger sleeping in this bed.

Zoe slept really well, only waking 2 or 3 times and she settled really easily. She had an afternoon sleep in her bed today, so it's definitely goodbye to the cot. Just have to bring myself to take it down... My last baby certainly isn't a baby anymore.

The best part of Zoe being in a bed is that I can lean over and give her a kiss goodnight when I'm going to bed. Lowering the cot side to do that at night would wake her up, so I didn't do that. Zoe doesn't know I'm doing it, but before I go to bed I always check on the kids, tuck them in, give them a kiss and tell them I love them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud and sad at the same time. Little Princess is growing up :( All on her own terms of course..!

Anita said...

She looks so comfy! She's grown up so fast! Sweet Dreams Zoe :)

Emma said...

Oh, how adorable Robyn. She did it at last. I love how you wait until she's good and ready. You're such a good Mummy!

My two are under new doonas and covers tonight. Miracle - they both went off with out a fuss.