Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Zoe's first day at Bright Futures


I got Zoe into a class at Bright Futures designed for kids going to 3 year old kinder. Why did I send her there?? Lots of reasons really. Zoe is a bright little spark who loves to learn, so any extra classes would be good for her. She is also a quite reserved little thing who won't even say hello to her teachers at kinder, although she will respond to questions asked by them throughout the class. I wanted to help her come out of that little shell of hers and show other people a bit more of what she's like at home. The class has a hug focus on literacy, specifically oral language, listening and speaking as well as pre-reading skills. Plus, 3 hours a week at kinder really isn't enough for Zoe at this stage.

Anyway, Zoe went to her 'Bright Futures School' as she calls it, for her hour lesson this morning. It is taught by a lovely teacher who used to teach Prep at Seb's school. She is gently spoken and has a way of getting the kids to talk to her! I dropped Zoe off and she was fine after making sure I was coming back to pick her up. The teacher asked her to come hold her hand to walk out the back, and the last I saw of Zoe she was happily walking away with her :)

At pickup time, I found Zoe finishing off her Goldilocks and the Three Bears House. She had a wonderful time painting and decorating it with sequins. They had read the book, talked about it, coloured in pictures relating to the story, and of course decorated the house. The teacher said she did really well and Zoe ended up talking to her quite a bit. Woohoo!

When I got Zoe out to the car, she talked about talked about the story and an hour later she is still playing with the house and talking about the story (she ran and grabbed three of her pandas for the Three Bears!). Bottom line, Zoe loved it and she can't wait till next week.

No comments: